Monday, March 19, 2007

Bilingual Kids

Well it has been awhile since I posted so here we go.

Last week I had an interesting trial with 5 kids who are basically bilingual. They went to an international school for many years so they know lots of English. I would say their reading level is as high as any child in an American school.

Although my trial lesson was too easy, I was lucky enough to get these kids into my school so I have been spending my time researching materials for these kids who will take a special 90 minutes lesson once a week.

In all my years of teaching in Japan this is the most difficult challenge I have ever faced but I intend to conquer it like any challenge with good planning following intense research. Mostly I have been looking at web sites that have the benchmarks for regular American children and I have found some amazing sites and have found lots of good ideas. I look forward to starting the class next month.

Has anyone ever had any experience teaching such children? This is one area my school excels because I can teach lessons that do not fit the cookie cutter style of Eikaiwas whose policy is, same age, same class, same book. My school is flexible and I take pride in that fact. Anyway, wish me luck!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home