Monday, February 19, 2007

My First Passport Book Review

What would be English teaching without great textbooks to guide you and your students through? Here is my first review and it is a book I have used in 3 different settings; a juku, my English school in Nishinomiya http://www.fesjapan.com/ , and at the high school where I work during the very few ESS(English Speaking Society) meetings.


First a brief intro of the book. The book follows the adventures of Japanese students on a home stay, a school trip, and Japanese students who have English-speaking students do a student exchange at their school. A very nice variety of situations. For more information please visit the oxford site ... http://www.oupjapan.co.jp/. There is also a workbook to use with the series.

The basic layout of the book is quite easy to understand. It starts with an introduction of the characters that will appear in the book. I can often turn these 2 pages into a lesson by reading the passage to the students, asking them read it, and after I check their understanding(I ask them if they have any questions) I ask them questions about the paragraph for Q and A practice as a double check of comprehension.

The next section is a "Where are you from" which takes some information from the introduction and asks where they are from. There are a few more questions for students and this lesson has a workbook page for review. I find this is a good tie-in to the introduction for the 2nd lesson as usually the 1st unit in the book is very easy and takes little time.

Now we get the to the meat of the book which are the lessons itself. They all start with a picture speculation (always good) to get the students thinking of the situation. Then the first listening which is nothing more than checking whether the words from the word list are spoken on the CD. I found for low-level adult students I would skip this part and just have them repeat the words as I do with everyone. The next is the listening section part 2 which can be anything from multiple choice, True/False, or open-ended questions(which I prefer). For higher students I often ask them more information, especially for the T/F which can be quite easy. After all, the students have a 50/50 chance even if they have no idea what was said. Both these parts use the same conversation so for low students, they have 2 chances to hear the conversations.

The next part of the lesson is the key words and phrases section which I really appreciate, as I do in any book. It shows the students exactly what language is used and what they will use themselves later in the lesson.

Next is the conversation which has 2 parts. The first part is a listening where students must fill in the blanks, and after that is complete the book has 2-3 new substitution words which can be used to make a new conversation but based on the model, i.e. "I am going to the bank." but the new conversation might change bank to shopping mall.

The last part of the lesson is the activity which is an information gap between students. Each student A and B have different pages with different information. The workbook usually reinforces the vocab and structures used which can be used at the end of class if there is time, or done as homework.

And that concludes each individual unit. Every 3 units there is a review which I often skip unless the students really struggled with the lessons. Also at the end of the book are culture files which explain a culture difference between the West and Japan which were great for ESS meetings. They correspond to the topics of each unit. For Adult students I do not use or let them read for homework. And at the very end of the book there is a English word list that has Japanese which is great for lower students although I admit I try not to use it if possible.

So that is the book format. Let me give a summary of the good and bad points.

Good points.

  1. It is colorful. Easy to understand pictures.
  2. Well-rounded. Listening practice, vocab, structured conversation, free talk.
  3. Easy to understand structure makes it ideal for lower students.
  4. Very reasonable price for the textbook, workbook, and classroom CD.
  5. A lot of useful situations: introductions, shopping, sightseeing tours, etc.
  6. Related to Japan and Japanese learners.
  7. Almost no preparation time is required. Good for busy teachers.
  8. More resources are available on the web such as tests and more review.

Bad Points:

  1. The Conversation listening practice where students fill in the blanks is often too long so students can listen and understand, but do not have enough time to write so they forget the answer.
  2. The difficulty of the lessons often varies considerably but this due in part that they chose useful situations so this point is forgivable to a degree.
  3. No Japanese instructions, also a minor point.

I hope to review other books in the passport series at a later date including the new my first passport 2. I will start to use this book in the coming weeks.

Overall rating for this book: 8/10 I highly recommend for beginners and young learners.




Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger MEC said...

Very informative review. You obviously have an understanding of what makes a good text and what the students' needs are instead of trying to fit them all into the same box. Kudos.

February 21, 2007 at 6:24:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Floyd,

I found your review very useful... and timely. I'm going to start teaching "Oral Communication" at a school near Tokyo from April. Coincidently, my commute will also be about 100 minutes, which I'm not looking forward to! :-(

Anyway I've been asked to choose some textbooks and I thought "My First Passport 1" looked good. I'll be teaching 3rd year JHS students and 1st & 2nd year HS students. Which of these year levels do you think this book is most suitable for? (I haven't taught HS students before, let alone an oral communication class!)

And one more question if you don't mind. How are the other books in the Passport series? Have you used "My First Passport 2" yet?
I look forward to your opinions.

Andrew

February 28, 2007 at 5:34:00 AM PST  
Blogger Floyd said...

Hello Andrew and thanks for the comment. I have gotten good feedback from this review so I will have to do more in the future!

Lets get to your questions. I used this book for 3rd grade JHS students at a Juku so the kids were motivated and I found it to be excellent. Are you going to work at a public school? I think it would work fine. I wish I could have used this book when I did a JHS last year.

I also think this book will work well with High School students too(I used for the English club and they were mostly 3rd graders). Even though they have studied the grammar in this book, they will NOT be able to use it unless it is a high level high school. do you know the level of your school?

I honestly think you could use this book at ALL those levels and get away with it. You should ask the English teachers that are at the school about the students level, they will know best. If the 2nd grade needs something more advanced, I can recommend book 2 although I have not used it. It is exactly the same format but higher level. I myself have not used yet because I only recently received a copy in the mail. All the grammar I see in the book is covered in JHS to my knowledge.

Like I said in the review, there is no Japanese for instructions but the Japanese teachers can help you there. same with the dialogue.

As for other books in the series, passport(the original) is excellent and so is passport to work but they are way too difficult for HS students even(in my opinion anyway). Plus they are a lot longer.

So have you taught before? So far HS has been the easiest to teach but perhaps that's because my HS was so good! It was a middle level school.

February 28, 2007 at 8:56:00 AM PST  
Blogger Floyd said...

I have to add one more thing, you should go to the oxford website. I believe if you use on of their books you can get a free teacher support pak with lots of goodies that will help you teach from that book!

February 28, 2007 at 9:06:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick response to my questions, Floyd.

I've been working as an AET at a public JHS in Yokohama for the past 3 years. It's a great school, but I felt it was time for a change... and a better paying job! My new school is a private school in Hachioji. I'll be teaching 10 "oral communication" classes per week with 3rd year JHS students and 1st & 2nd year HS students. I'll be on my own and each class will have up to 40 students...

Anyway, I need to find a textbook for each year level. My first impression of "My First Passport, Part 1" was that it might be a little hard for 3rd year JHS students (who have basically just finished 2nd year) and be more suitable for 1st year HS students. I didn't know there was a "Part 2" to the series till I read your review, but from your comments it might be a good textbook for my 2nd year HS students. Great!

I also like your suggestions about asking the JTEs at my new school about whether they think these books suit the students levels. I'll ask my boss to send them a couple of copies ASAP.

If that works out as planned, I just have to find a new communicative textbook for the 3rd year JHS classes. Any other ideas??? ;-)

Thanks,

Andrew

March 1, 2007 at 3:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger Floyd said...

That job sounds awesome and what I wanted to do 2 years ago but now that I started my own school, my goals have changed slightly.

3 different books I see! Also a private school so the students should be very smart but I still think it will work well even with those smart kids.

Sounds like you have got the HS students straightened out. The my first passport 2 has just been published and that is why you would not know it. I have not seen in the local bookstore yet but you can find online. I use Nellie's ELT books. They are great, but you r school might have other resources.

I was looking through the Oxford catologue and I saw 2 books "Open House" and "Get Together". I have never used these but I am pretty sure ECC used to use Open House for its high school or possibly JHS classes. there are 4 levels. Maybe if Miguel is reading this he can comment about that title.

Oxford also will give you some free samples so I suggest you contact them through the website. Let me know how you make out!

How did you find that job? I debated applying to the local private school where I live but I realized I just do not have the time in my schedule this year to work there. You must be able to hold your own in Japanese too.

March 1, 2007 at 7:05:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Floyd.

Thanks for the book suggestions. I'll look for them the next time I'm near a decent-sized Yurindo.

I found this job through a company I've been doing business classes with for the past 3 years. Apparently the new school is a prestigious music high school and university. So the students should be fairly smart and well-behaved... but will they be motivated???

Also the school stressed several times during my interview that they don't want me using Japanese in the class. I got the feeling that may have been an issue with the previous teacher. We'll see...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

March 3, 2007 at 5:16:00 AM PST  
Blogger Floyd said...

That sounds cool about the music school and I hope it works out and they are motivated. I think that ends up being 70% of our job;to make it interesting. I alwasy try my best!

That is interesting about not using Japanese. I alwasy tried my best not to use Japanese unless it was discipline. I think I posted about that before. I have a JHS student at my English school and I NEVER need Japanese with him. If you have lots of students like him, I will be jealous.

Well if they do not want you to use Japanese, then you better not of course. I think it is best if the kids try and understand you in English anyway. I do not like teachers translating every word I say.

Anyway good luck, I am sure you will enjoy that job very much. I look forward to hearing stories you will generate as a result. Also let me know how you make out with the books.

March 3, 2007 at 10:00:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home