Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Different uses of “like”

This one topic from a few lessons I have taught recently and students who confuse the different uses of "like" which lower students often assume is 好き.

The first use that they have encountered is indeed using 好き "Do you like dogs?". But 2 other uses have come up in the textbook so I will write more about them.

The next use is the meaning どのように or どのような as in "What is the weather like?" which students confuse with どんな天気が好き? That same lesson also teaches "How is the weather?" which is far more easier for students to understand as 天気はどうですか?

The other use that popped up yesterday was "Would you like a bag?" Which they confused for カバン好き? instead of the polite form of "Do you want a bag?". The situation was a shopping lesson and the customer just bought a pair of sunglasses and was asked by the clerk "Would you like bag?".

I always teach my students that for listening, often key words are very important but in the above cases they only heard too few key words and mistook the meaning.

I know this is two grammar posts in a row and so I apologize. I knwo for most grammar is very boring btu from my engineering background, I am fascinated with the structure, especially the differences between the two languages.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home